Top 4 reasons why I love crafts

beading crafts projects
Seed bead bracelet in progress

Lately, I've had a lot of job stress that's made me wish more and more that I had the courage to throw caution to the wind, turn in my notice, and turn my crafts into a business.

Here are the biggest reasons why I love making crafts:

Reason 1: It's calming ... Eventually

When I am in the "what am I going to make phase?" my stress level goes up as I struggle to think of something new to try or to create a new pattern for an old project. But once I know what I'm making and can settle in and work on it, I feel a calmness I don't normally feel during waking hours. It's a peaceful, relaxing way to spend an hour or two ... Eventually.



Reason 2: Completing a project feels good

Recently, my grandma asked me to make earrings for a woman at her doctor's office. The woman had requested some, knowing that my grandma knows a few people who make authentic Native American jewelry, but she wasn't specific beyond just saying she wanted "round" ones. Knowing Grandma had an appointment coming up, I made some circular earrings that have feathers on them and ran into a few problems on the way. The rows didn't line up; the hook didn't stay on. I got them done just hours before she left for the doctor. Despite the problems and the tight deadline (a stressful project that made it one of the rare exceptions to reason no. 1), I felt proud that I was able to problem-solve and, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work." Ultimately, the woman who requested the earrings said they weren't what she had in mind, but another woman at the office really liked them and bought them. Which brings me to ...

Reason 3: I love when someone likes what I've made

I'm a sucker for compliments, but then, who doesn't feel good when someone tells them they've done a good job?

Reason 4: It's a family thing

My mom makes earrings, headdresses, bunholders and key chains. My brother and nephews make dream catchers, my big sister makes earrings, bracelets, and dolls. Even my daughter gets in on it, making necklaces, drawings, and other things daily.

What do you enjoy about making crafts? Let me know in the comments section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More pumpkin earrings for Halloween

I've got a notion to sew a Halloween costume

My Etsy shop reopens