Barrettes make my to-do list

Last weekend, my husband, daughter and I visited a fall festival we had never been to before. We went there not expecting much, but left pleasantly surprised — and $50 or so poorer since we spent money we didn't plan on spending at arts-and-crafts vendor tables.

The first thing that caught my eye was a deerskin amulet bag, which I really wanted but it cost more than I could pay (It was worth its price tag, though, just out of my price range). The same vendor also had beaded barrettes, which I've never bothered to make because, in my hair and my daughter's hair at least, barrettes tend to pop out easily.

My daughter spotted a pair of pink ones with a feather pattern that she really liked. She likes all things pink. Since they were only $5 for the set, I bought them for her despite my reservations about how well they'd hold.


Unlike other barrettes though, these were snug and didn't pop out. They stayed in her hair for the rest of the day. I think it has to do with the closure, which is the kind in which the back slides under a lip attached to the front:



But that made me think that maybe I could make some barrettes, as long as I use the right kind of barrette. And so began my quest to find that style of barrette in bulk.

After we got home, I went to FireMountainGems.com, FusionBeads.com and my other go-to online bead retailers, but I couldn't find any that fit the same way. They were all the kind that have closure in which the bottom of the barrette snaps into the top, like this:


That's the kind that pops out of my hair. I don't know if other people have the same problem or not, but I'd like some that fit more snugly. My guess, though, is that if this were a frequent problem, people wouldn't keep buying them and therefore, they wouldn't still be so ubiquitous.

I can find the style I want. I've seen them at Walmart, Amazon and other retailers. But those are not packaged with crafts in mind, which means that if I wanted to make 10 pairs of barrettes, I would probably wind up paying more than $20 just to get the base, and that wouldn't even count the cost of the beads and the deerskin to stitch it to.

So, my options are to either pay the higher price to get the style of barrette I want or buy in bulk.

I'm still thinking.





We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More pumpkin earrings for Halloween

I've got a notion to sew a Halloween costume

"Elegant Beaded Bags" by Sonja Hood